Saturday, June 12, 2010

Practice Hospitality


Q. Why is it important for me, as a teen or child, to practice hospitality? What is hospitality anyway?


A. [Annalise – age 18] It is important to know what hospitality is and what it means. Hospitality is a great way to show people about Jesus. Hospitality is when we extend our hands to the needy, and open our homes to the homeless, our family, friends, neighbors and unbelievers. We are showing them the love of Jesus Christ when we serve them in our home.

In Romans 12:13 it says, “Share with God’s people who are in need and practice hospitality.” What do we share with these people who are guests in our home? We share Jesus by showing them the love of Jesus in us through hospitality!

I love showing hospitality to my friends and family. My Mommy and I clean the house, make a dessert dish and some kind of drink. We also light the candles sometimes and welcome them warmly, with a smile!

Why don’t you ask your mother if you can invite someone who is lonely over for a home-cooked dinner, so that you can show them Jesus through you and your hospitality!

[Kaitlyn – age 10] “Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling. Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering Gods grace in its various forms.” 1 Peter 4:9-10

The children in my family just started sending letters, writing little messages and making drawings for our elderly relatives who we don’t see very often. They really enjoy getting those letters. Just think about your relatives opening the mailbox, not expecting to get much of anything interesting. Imagine their smile when they see a child’s handwriting and quickly open it to find a nice little note or drawing!
Hospitality is also known as the act of generously providing care and kindness to whoever is in need. – Wikipedia

The gift that he’s talking about in 1 Peter could be drawing, writing or inviting someone to dinner. We show God’s grace when we do things like those. It might not sound like a lot of fun, but I really enjoy showing hospitality to my friends and family!

** Leave a comment to tell us how YOU have shown or plan to show hospitality to others. I’d love to hear your thoughts, ideas and suggestions! **

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kaitlyn is 10 years old and is a budding young writer who wants to share her thoughts on what God has shown her through Scripture. She also likes to write on what it’s like being part of a large homeschooling family. She, like Annalise, who is 18 years old, is maturing in grace.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful article! I did not know anything about hospitality when I was growing up. I lived in a city and we routinely ignored knocks at the door. We even resented them; what nerve people had knocking on our door like that! Don't they know it's early, late, Sunday, etc? The first time I heard the word hospitality, I thought it had something to do with sick people at a hospital!! LOL. Now I know better, thank God. Hospitality is something we all should practice, preferably with a spirit of humility. I am making slow but steady progress in this area, and teaching my daughters how to be hospitable... Thank you for this reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you guys so much for the wonderful compliments! I pray that my blog wiil be an encouragement to all who read it.

    In Christ Jesus,
    ~Annalise

    ReplyDelete